Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sending off an LDS missionary son

Tomorrow, I send off my second son to be a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I have looked toward this day since he was born.  I am proud of him for wanting to fulfill this commitment.  It is hard to say goodbye.  We only talk on the phone at Christmas and Mother's Day for two years.  Thankfully, we can communicate once a week with emails whose arrival I eagerly await each week (I have another son serving a mission in Peru.  He has been there since 2010 and returns home in September of this year).

Missions change boys into men as they put all of their hearts, minds, and souls into the work of the Lord for two years.  They set aside their own needs for entertainment, romance, education, rest to spend their days working hard.  There is something that refines a person when there is time for introspection, reflection, pondering, service, prayer, and spiritual focus.

I am grateful for this opportunity for him and for our family.  I pray that he will find people who will listen to his message.  The gospel of Jesus Christ has so much to make us happy in this life and the eternal focus and purpose to this life and the life beyond is such a wonderful message.  It puts this life into perspective and directs the choices we make on earth.

If you see missionaries on the street.  Talk to them.  Listen to their message.  Pray about what they say.  Think about who they are and what they are doing, what drives them to spend two years of their young lives sharing this message.  Think about their families who support them.  Think about those missionaries whose families do not support them, yet they are still being valiant young men.

I am so grateful for how The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has blessed my life.  I know that the message is true.  I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior.  I love the words of the prophets and am grateful that God speaks to ALL people.  I love the scriptures: the Bible and the Book of Mormon and believe that there is much comfort, guidance, and refinement in our lives as we live by the principles taught by the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment