Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Why I Am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Why I Am a Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

October 7, 2013 at 7:03pm
Ten Reasons I Belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Rene Johnson


1.  The doctrine is so purposeful about our eternal nature.  We lived with God before we came to earth, our purpose here on earth is to gain a body, learn and demonstrate obedience to God and return to Him.  We have a life after this one with purpose as well and I have the hope of seeing loved ones who have passed on from this life.  This doctrine has sustained me, made me feel valued, and given me reason for making the choices I have made throughout my life.  I feel like I know the path I need to walk along to return to God.

2.  The emphasis on families is a big reason I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 

Temple marriages, where marriages are sealed for eternity, not just “until death do you part”, gives me a strong commitment to marriage: working things out, taking the long view, knowing that it is not a temporary commitment. 

The family emphasis also means that there is great support in the church for raising “good” children.  The Primary (ages 18 mo-11 years) and Youth Programs (ages 12-18)  are led by dedicated adults who care, spend time, teach, and lead our children.  The content of lessons presented through these programs are excellent and have really helped me (as a youth) and my children as they have grown up.  Teenagers also have daily early-morning scripture study classes during high school that gives them an excellent scriptural foundation. 

3.  I appreciate the opportunity to serve at church.  It is a lay ministry and everyone has an opportunity to serve.  For example, as an adult, I have had formal assignments as missionary (18 months in Honduras), visiting teacher (monthly visits to 2-3 sisters in the congregation ever since I was 18 years old), Sunday Relief Society teacher (2 years), Youth leader (1-2 years), Primary leader (5-6 years), Choir pianist (15 years), Organist (10 years), Scout leader (8-9 years), Relief Society Visiting Teaching Coordinator (2 years), Relief Society Presidency (2-3 years), Girl’s Camp leader (2 years).  Just about any active member of the church would have a similar list of service.  In addition, our local congregation provides many opportunities for service in the community.  Also, our church does a tremendous amount of global service.  (see mormon.org).  I have appreciated the opportunity for my children to serve as full-time missionaries too.  They dedicate two years of their lives at the age of 19 to share the gospel with others and serve their fellow men.  They put aside school, dating, social activities to really put God first.  It’s a great foundation for the rest of their lives.

4.  I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because I believe the church has the Priesthood of God.  Men who meet standards of worthiness are ordained to the priesthood and use the priesthood to direct the church and administer the ordinances of the gospel.  Blessings for the sick and for comfort are given by men holding the priesthood.  I am grateful for the priesthood.  I am grateful that my husband and sons take this responsibility very seriously in their lives and try to live worthy of it and bless others through the priesthood.  I feel personally blessed by the Priesthood of God.

5. I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because I feel great strength when I’m with members who are striving to be obedient to God’s commandments.  There is a brotherhood and sisterhood that is palpable when we share our feelings about the church and work together in our efforts to move forward according to God’s will.  This feeling happens even if I’m visiting a congregation outside my hometown.  I have experienced that feeling in Jerusalem, Jordan, Egypt, Honduras, Costa Rica, Peru, with a member in Tanzania. . .and all over the United States.  There is an instant bonding which is nothing short of miraculous.

6.  I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because I believe God still has a prophet and apostles on earth today, just as prophets were needed in biblical times.  I love listening to our prophet and apostles at our General World Conferences twice a year (April and October).  I believe in continued revelation and that God speaks to all people.  So, just as he spoke to the prophets in the old world (Bible), he also spoke to the people of the American Continent (the Book of Mormon).  And I believe that He continues to reveal His will to people of the world.  I believe the Bible and the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. 

7.  Personally, I feel that I am constantly taught how to be a better person--through scriptures and other written resources, through words I hear at church, through examples of people with whom I work.  I feel inspired and uplifted.  I feel like I have chances to repent, start over if needed, and continue progressing.  (This is not unique to the LDS church; I see this in other churches as well, but I wanted to note that I feel it too).

8. I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because I received the gift of the Holy Ghost when I was baptized (all members who are baptized receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands by those with priesthood authority and have access to that gift as they live worthily).  I have been comforted, inspired, instructed, directed, received confirmations of truth, and protected by the Holy Ghost during my life.  It is a blessing that I value greatly.

9.  I feel formally watched out for and supported by visiting teachers (two women from church assigned to visit me each month), home teachers (two men who visit my family once a month), a bishop, a Relief Society President, Presidents of the children’s organization and the youth organization.

10. I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because it is a lifestyle that brings me a lot of happiness and hope.  We are a covenant people.  We make covenants with God at baptism and when we go to the Temple.  These covenants help to guide us in our lives.  In my travels, I have seen the gospel of Jesus Christ bless the lives of all types of people--the poor, the rich, the educated, the uneducated all over the world.  I wish all people could experience what I do as a member of this church.

No comments:

Post a Comment