Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Piano Competitions, Piano practicing

Not long ago, I entered a duet team in a local ensemble competition.  I was very proud of their accomplishments.  They have worked very hard and were very enthusiastic about competing together.  They planned outfits (though that didn't end up happening).  They talked about how to do their hair.  They practiced with me and without me.  We were excited.

As the event unfolded, we realized that the competition level pieces were more advanced than their pieces. The competition levels were based on age and school grade.  The performances were quite amazing.  When it came time for their performance, they proceeded confidently and played well--not perfectly, but well.  Some of the parts I know they worried about came off successfully.  One of the partners had some difficulty in a section, but recovered while the other partner continued on. I thought they handled the situation well.

They didn't place.  That didn't surprise me. However, I worried that they left a little discouraged and not inspired.

Here are some of my questions after the event along with my observations and counsel to myself:

Should I have entered them in the festival option instead of the competition?  
Maybe. For them, they probably would have left happier and had less pressure on them.  The festival pieces, while still well prepared in a group I listened to were not quite the same caliber as those in the competition. Is that good or bad?  Maybe it just depends on where my students are at.

Do I have any chance of competing with my students in this event or other events in our organization? 
This is a decision I have to make.  It's a matter of time commitment from the students and some picking and choosing as to who is in my studio. The students who win practice probably a couple hours a day to achieve what they have done.  Is that what I am looking for? At this point. . . I don't know.  My mission statement says that I want my students to gain a life-long love for music and the desire to share it with others.  I have purposely not included as part of my mission the winning of competitions.
 
What does it take to get more from students? 
I love it when students do what I ask and am delighted when they do more.

Sometimes they don't complete my tasks.  Some students just don't like theory for example, but I feel that it is super important.  They don't complete their theory assignments during the week.  My remedy:  we spend a few minutes at their lesson.  Are other teachers harsher? Meaner? What do other teachers do to raise the expectations for their students? (RM punishes a student who isn't prepared by making the student come to her house for 3 hours until the piece is memorized!)

Is there a difference in the parent's expectations or the parents ability or willingness to help/make their children practice? 

A student just today brought back an extra 3 pages of a memorized sonatina that I wasn't expecting.  I was absolutely delighted!  Another student learned TWO concertos instead of one. So, my students ARE excelling and I am proud of them. 

How do I want to be? 
I want to inspire dedication, hard work, a love for music, competence, an ability to share talents with others, and a life-long capability to play music.  I want to be loved as a teacher like I loved my piano teacher.  My piano teacher inspired me as described above. I believe that I can still have high expectations and inspire hard work through my example, skill as a teacher, follow-up, and personal relationships with my students.


Is it a matter of the teacher's training?  
I feel that my training over the years has been dedicated and I have always sought opportunities to improve my skills by regular attendance and participation in my music teacher's organization, attending pedagogy classes at GMU, attending state and national conventions as I am able, taking private lessons for myself at regular intervals, performing and accompanying and sight-reading frequently. Also, becoming certified with MTNA (2003) and maintaining that certification as I worked to obtain the professional level (2013) has been important to me as well.




Is it a matter of how much is charged?
Perhaps. 

What does it take to be at that level? 
This is THE question.  Definitely, more practice.
 
How much do students have to practice to reach some of the levels I see in our organization?  
I'd like to know.

Do I need to start their music earlier? 
I know DG starts duets in December. I would be interested to know how long before an event a teachers starts a student on a piece of music typically. And how many performance opportunities are given before a competition.


Should we focus on fewer things (pieces or events)?  
My students do Fall Festival (Contemporary event), Theory Mastery Day, Bach/Baroque, Sonatinas, and an Achievement day at the end of the year (with adjudication on technique included).  I would be interested to know what other teachers do. . . what is required of one student during a year.
 
Are competitions even important? 
I know they are for some people.  Are they for my students?  This is THE question too.  I'm sure it should be considered individually.

What value does it have for students? 
Validation.
Money sometimes, college maybe.
More?
(For the teacher, prestige and recognition by colleagues).

Is it better to just participate in a festival for comments?
Maybe sometimes, but I think competitions do make students work a little harder and there is more anticipation for the event.

What about Bach/Baroque?
I think my students have the potential to play their Bach pieces as well as any other. Areas that I could improve on for fluency would be more technique work.

Do my students and their parents want competitions?
This is a question I should ask at a first interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment