Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Piano Lessons

I am a piano teacher.  I have been teaching since I was about 14 years old.  I love being a piano teacher.  I always get excited when the school year starts because I choose new repertoire and set goals for what I want to accomplish with each student during the year.

Today is the first day of lessons.  At 6:45, I had a "first" lesson with a 7 year old boy.  We talked about note names, looked at the keyboard, played groups of black notes, learned a couple pieces that he will practice during the week, wiggled our various finger "numbers" etc.  The second student was an hour later.  He is learning the piano so he can become an organist.  This summer, he prepared a hymn and got to play it on the Mormon Tabernacle Choir organ in Salt Lake City, Utah.  We discussed proper pedaling this morning.  He learns quickly.  One day, he will not pay attention to how many minutes are left in the lesson.  I think I need to hide the clock.

Three more lessons today, new music, reunions after summer breaks.  The next student today spent the summer in Greece and the other family moved to a beautiful new house. The three children seemed excited to see me and two had pieces they had made up.  We wrote them down and recorded one of them that was most prepared and I encouraged them to enter them in the PTA Reflections contest. And then my son needs to find some time to practice too.

Ahh. . . music.  :)

(later in the week) 
Yesterday morning, I taught a little boy where his thumb was.  He thought it was his pinky.  It was so cute to watch him hold his fingers spread out and consider this new information.

No comments:

Post a Comment