Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

Dancing and Scuba Diving

This is a 22 year old story:

As a child, my dad taught me many things.  I usually listened pretty carefully and was greatly influenced by his opinions.
(To the point that when my husband and I bought our first new car, I insisted that we not get automatic windows because my dad had always complained about how it was one more thing to break. . .  On our second new car however, we got automatic windows)  Another of my dad's opinions was agains scuba diving.  Two men in the stake had died in separate scuba diving incidences leaving behind young families.  It was truly a tragedy.  So, I grew up always thinking that scuba diving was extremely dangerous and irresponsible.  However, I married a man who had always dreamed of how wonderful it would be to scuba dive.

A year into my marriage with Jeff, we were at the Red Sea during a 6 month school-related trip to Israel and surrounding areas.  It is one of the prime snorkeling/scuba diving locations in the world.  Since Jeff wasn't scuba certified, we went snorkeling.  While we were out in the water, we got separated and I didn't see him for several very long minutes.  It seemed like 10-15 minutes to me at least.  I was sure that I was a widow.  I was so scared that Jeff decided that he wouldn't be going scuba diving.

While I was in college, I took lots of ballroom dance classes.  I loved them!  It was SO fun, so romantic.  I even talked Jeff into taking a latin dance class during the spring term before we got engaged.  He did well in the class, but didn't love it.  That was about the last dancing we did together.

He didn't scuba.  I didn't dance.  For 22 years.

Then, we took a western Caribbean cruise that included a stop at Roatan, Honduras---another scuba mecca.  I decided that I couldn't really say no for this second opportunity.  So, Jeff, Paul, and Eric took a scuba class that allowed them to go down about 40 feet into the water.  William went along too, but he was too young and just snorkeled.  They LOVED it!

Shortly after returning home, Jeff casually  mentioned that I could sign us up for a dance class.  I found one close to our house. . . unfortunately, the session was only 4 lessons long. . . but, that was good for now.

So, last week, we attended our first dance class.  We learned the tango and the waltz.  It was great fun!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, we are so alike. I'm also scared of scuba. And I too dream of taking a dance class with my husband. I keep hoping after dental school . . . My husband says he would only take a dance class because he loves me.

    ReplyDelete